We finished the roof deck yesterday. Lots and lots of work, but we’ve increased our living space by about 50%!
We started by drilling 9/16th holes in the ribs of the bus, on center. The drill needs to go through both the rib and the sheet metal of the roof. It’s important try and keep everything as straight as possible, or else the bolts will come up crooked.
Next, we ran boards along the center line on top of the roof. We ripped 1″x6″ boards in half, and lined them end to end. We drilled up through the holes we already made, to make perfectly aligned holes in the boards. We then moved the boards aside to put a rubber membrane in place. We rolled out and caulked the membrane, and then placed the boards back on top.
We found center on our 93.5″ 4×4 beams, then drilled 1/2″ holes through the center. We don’t have a drill press, and we had to find a drill guide to make sure we could make perfectly straight holes through the 4×4. We cut a larger hole around this to countersink the nuts and washers that will attach to the bolts.
These beams are placed perpendicular to the centerboard on top. Our 1/2″ bolts come up through the ribs, rubber membrane, and beam.
We made an 18° cut into 4×4 posts, which will support the beams on the outside.
We cut gaskets to match the footprint of these posts.
Before we placed these posts, we drilled 1/4″ holes for our structural screws to come through the ribs.
The posts were put in place, and attached to the beams with handy post caps. We drilled up through the ribs securing these posts to the bus with structural screws.
With our frame firmly in place, we started screwing down the decking.
This is the finished product. The main decking area that will be used for recreation is in the back, and the walkway towards the front runs between the voids where our solar panels will be mounted.
Access to the deck will be mainly by a rear mounted ladder (not yet installed).